CHANUKAH SEGULOT: (SOME OF THESE COME FROM R’ YEMIMA MIZRACHI, SOME FROM HANDOUTS THAT WERE GIVEN AT A SHIUR I ATTENDED IN HEBREW. DON’T HAVE ANY MORE INFORMATION TO TELL OTHER THAN THAT.)
- It is good to read the following tehillim perakim in front of the menorah candles:
Begin by reciting the last passuk only in
perek (90) צ‘ “v’hi noam….”
And then after the entire perek (91) צא: repeat this 7x’s consecutively out loud + 1 time silently (total 8 x’s):
then continue with the perakim (30) סז (67) ,לג (33) , ל (in the shape of the menorah), (133) יט (19) , ק (100) , קלג
- Recite the prayer of Ana b’koach
- Look at the candles and absorb the kedusha of the Ohr Haganuz (the hidden light of creation). You are buying emuna!
- Use this time now to beseech Hashem
- Ask Hashem to remove your fears and strengthen your emuna
- According to the Chida ztk’l, ask to see the good in others, to be gifted with a good eye: see the good in yourself, in others and in life’s difficulties, tests and tribulations
- Ask for children who will float above in holiness. They should be blessed with wisdom (oil) and good memory
- HaRav m’Slonim ztk’l teaches that we should ask that our children go in the path of Torah until the coming of Mashiach and that they not be embarrassed to be ‘frum’. They should be zoche’ to yirat shamayim and tzniyut. Ask that we merit to greet them always with a ‘glowing’ smile and that we love each child the same with no favoring among them.
- Fry donuts in lots of oil – according to the father of the Rambam HaKadosh, it is a praiseworthy practice that blesses us with bountiful sustenance all year long
- Gaze at the candles and ask that Hashem erase any bad or difficult images and memories from our minds’ ‘hard drive’. Ask that we should live with inner composure, yishuv ha’da’at.
- Through the act of staring at the candle flames, we ask that we be gifted with the ability to see things clearly and see Hashem’s compassionate hand in all that occurs since we are glancing at a reflection of the Ohr Haganuz (the hidden light of creation). This light enabled Adam HaRishon to see from one end of the world to the other and detect Hashem’s presence and Divine energy in everything. So too, we ask that we see Hashem in every aspect of our lives.
- Always try to light Chanukah candles in your home even if you will be going to someone else
- Ask for Mashiach = משיח = מדליקים שמונה ימי חנוכה
- Ask for a miracle – one you think is impossible in the zechut of your renewed emuna!
The Kedushas Levi says that each night of Chanuka is mesugal, an auspicious time for different things to daven for:
- 1st night -not to be lonely or depressed
- 2nd night- Shidduchim, Shalom Bayis, to find your marriage partner and marital peace
- 3rd night- Good children, Happy children and healthy
(Chasam Sofer ztk’l says when you cry in front of the candles you can be sure your tefilos are answered)
- 4th night- 4 Imahos
To be a healthy and wholesome woman/mother in the 4 walls of your home, of true essence
- 5th night – Chamisha Chumshei Torah, The Five books of Torah
Daven that your husband should be a talmid chacham and your children. By the 5th night more of the menorah is lit up than not. Pray for more light in your life, for clarity.
- 6th night – Simcha
You can have everything and still be sad, therefore pray for joy and happiness
- 7th night – Happy and Peaceful Shabbos – zmiros ,Divrei Torah by your Seuda. Shabbos is the source of all bracha.
- 8th nignt- mesugal, auspicious time to pray for barren women
8 is above nature, powerful day to pray.
Kedushas Levi says if you are planning to start something new if you start it on Chanuka it will be blessed, B’H.
A freilichen chanuka